Thursday 20 November 2014

Five Parsecs From Home - Skirmish Board

Greetings,

Inspired by Tiny Solitary Soldiers and Planet Ares IV,  my 6mm skirmish Sci Fi project has finally started moving again.

The intention with this project was always to play a galaxy-trotting adventure similar to Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn and Ravenor. Why 6mm?  Well to me it was a perfect scale to do this in, as I could quickly and easily come up with terrain vastly different from each other to represent the far-flung reaches of the galaxy. Plans include a snowy mountain top research base, a Adeptus Mechanicus manufactorum, and a spaceport ala Mos Eiselly. 6mm allows me to realize these locations without breaking the bank. It is also still a scale where individual characteristics can still be easily recognized, provided they are quality sculpts and well painted. Whole retinues can be put together cheaply, and everything can be packed away in a small space. If I roll up something I don't have painted, it can be easily dealt with in an evening painting. They are also perfect for solo gaming, as it can be played sitting down at the kitchen table.

To begin with, I would like to present my first terrain set. It is a desert world moisture farm, it definitely needs some more buildings but I have a research station almost complete, and some middle eastern buildings from eureka/irregular. Boards are cork tile, with some scattered sand and some texture hacked in. Fences are flywire mesh, rocks are thicker cork placemats covered in spackle, and buildings are just random junk and old toys.

In my next post I will be detailing my Five Parsecs From Home crew, and their spaceship too.

Cheers,

The Baron

3 comments:

  1. Very cool setup, love those wind towers.
    Also happy to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to play 5 Parsecs in 6mm.
    You have now added building my crew their own proper ship to my list of things to do, thank you very much ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I see you have made your ship! Very cool, and more than a little Serenity going on there. I'm about to start my spaceport, and that's your fault

      Delete